My Favorite Recipes To Celebrate Cinco de Mayo
Friday is Cinco de Mayo and one of my favorite holidays because I love Margaritas and Spanish food. Now, do not get me wrong I know that Cinco de Mayo is not about Margaritas, it's Mexican Independence day, and as any good American, I love Independence. So here are my favorite recipes to celebrate Cinco De Mayo, the first is a tequila lime cheesecake bar and the second is a classic margarita, you cannot go wrong either way. Enjoy!
Tequila Lime Cheesecake Bars
This weekend I set out to make these YUMMY tequila lime cheesecake bars, and I do not want to brag but I succeeded. They are Awesome! I found the recipe on Pinterest (of course), from a great food blogger Sweet Peas and Saffron. I did tweak the recipe a little, instead of Cointreau I replaced it with fresh squeezed orange juice and added lime zest to the graham cracker crust. I also love my cheesecake frozen so instead of placing them in the fridge to set I put them in the freezer. There is nothing like a frozen cheesecake on a hot day or a classic margarita on the rocks. The cheesecake is the best of both worlds and will satisfy any sweet tooth. These cheesecake bars were super easy to make and are always a big hit. They are a perfect way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo and the perfect marriage between sweet and tart. Bring them into the office or mommy and me class, you will be everyone's favorite.
Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Line a 9 X 9 inch pan with aluminum foil and spray with oil.
- To make crust: melt butter in a medium bowl. Stir in graham cracker crumbs and lime zest until combined. Press gently in the bottom of the foil-lined pan.
- Beat together cream cheese and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add lime juice & zest, tequila, fresh squeezed orange juice and cream. Mix until completely combined *make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over graham cracker crust, spread into corners. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the center sets up (it should have a very slight jiggle).
- Allow to cool completely in pan, then refrigerate (or freeze) for at least 3 hours. Cut into squares.
The Perfect Margarita
I absolutely love a great margarita! I personally prefer them on the rocks, there is nothing more refreshing on a sunny day. My husband and I have worked on the perfect recipe I hope you love it as much as I do.
Step 1: Add 2 oz of tequila, we used gold in this recipe it has a little stronger of a tequila taste giving the cocktail a little kick.
Step 2: Take your lime and orange slice give each a light squeeze and add to shaker glass.
Step 3: Add 0.5 oz of lime juice (fresh squeeze if you got it)
Step 4: Add 0.5 oz of honey syrup
Step 5: Light pinch of salt
Step 6: Add ice and shake
Step 7: Strain over fresh ice
Garnish with a salt rim and lime slice
*Honey Simple Syrup: Combine equal parts honey and water, heated on the stove until honey is dissolved, it will take a couple minutes for it all to come together. (We use honey because it is a natural sweetener and less processed than white sugar.)
Please share your favorite Cinco de Mayo recipes with me!! Cheers